Just as we watch technology evolve at a rapid pace year after year, so too does the discovery of ways you can treat and nourish your body to boost your maximum health potential.
Watch the video : What is ozone therapy?
In addition to our High Potency IV Therapies, Ozone Therapy offers a multitude of benefits to your body and in return your quality of life.
Explore the photos below for an in-depth view of the High Dose Ozone Therapy treatment.
What is Ozone Therapy?
Ozone therapy involves introducing the Ozone molecules in specific ways to our body. The most common method is mixing it with our blood in an IV and reintroducing our ozonized blood back into our body.
What is Ozone?
Ozone is a naturally occurring element found in our atmosphere.
The ozone molecule (O3) contains three oxygen atoms whereas the oxygen molecule (O2) contains only two. Therefore, Ozone is a form of oxygen and can be produced by special technology in a doctor’s office.
History of Medical Ozone
Despite its dubious status in the USA as an “alternative” treatment, for the past 150 years Ozone Therapy has been thoroughly studied and widely utilized throughout Europe and Asia. For US patients who encounter it for the first time it’s an interesting and curious treatment, because it seems so simple, natural and effective, that one wonders why so few US doctors use it.
As a matter of fact, even though it is statistically one of the safest medical treatments known, until relatively recently, Ozone Therapy was illegal in many states, and patients had to travel to Mexico to find American doctors who practiced “Integrative Medicine” and whose specialization included Ozone Therapy.
The reasons for this negativity and resistance to ozone in the US are entirely political and commercial, (as many disruptive innovations encounter), and have nothing to do with what is good for patient care…. But this is a subject for another article.
Our Introduction to Ozone Therapy
At AMA Regenerative Medicine, we were introduced to Ozone Therapy by some of our patients who had been healed from various devastating cancers and microbial infections by American Integrative MD’s who had moved their offices to Mexico. Their stories were so compelling that we traveled with them to these clinics to learn firsthand about the mysterious ozone treatments. Thereafter, having validated their amazing recoveries with our own eyes, we traveled to Italy, the world’s center for ozone studies, to study Ozone Therapy with renowned global experts.
It was there in Italy that we learned about Ozone Therapy and how it is extremely effective in patients who are suffering from a wide variety of chronic microbial infections, fungal (yeast) such as Candida, Bacterial infections such as Spirochetes and Lyme Disease, MRSA infections and viruses such as Epstein Barr, Herpes (Simplex & Shingles), HIV and even Ebola, as well as a whole host of inflammatory diseases.
Explore the photos below for an in-depth view of the High Dose Ozone Therapy treatment.
The Benefits of Ozone Therapy
Just a few of the many established beneficial effects of Ozone Therapy include: Dental caries (cavities), decreased blood cholesterol, increases red blood cell metabolism, increases oxygenation of tissues, increases mitochondrial production of ATP, preserves tissues suffering from hypoxic and ischemic conditions, and accelerates wound healing. Ozone Therapy comes with a long list of benefits as a complimentary medical approach in the treatment of various diseases:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Heart Disease
- Lyme Disease
- Autoimmune Disease
Additional Health Benefits Include
- Boost of the immune system
- Increased energy production in your cells
- Reduces the oxidation of your body
- Reduces the level of acidity of your body
- Kills bacteria and viruses
- Stimulates white blood cell production
- Fights infections
Benefits from a Scientific Perspective
From a scientific perspective ozone:
- Stimulates mitochondrial function and causes an increase in mitochondrial numbers within every cell in your body. This results in a remarkable stimulation of the regenerative capacity and activity in every organ, tissue and gland in your body.
- Increases the metabolism of your red blood cells (glycolytic ↑ATP)
- Increases blood flow (perfusion) throughout your entire body (↑nitric oxide)
- Increases oxygen delivery to all your tissues. (↑2,3,DPG)
- Boosts your immune system
- Increases production of Interferons… which are your body’s prime defense against viruses
- Directly attacks the viral capsid … “shell” of all viruses… killing them
- Causes an increase in the generation and release of growth factors (from platelets), which helps healing and regeneration of damaged tissues.
Ozone increases your body’s production of natural anti-oxidant molecules that protect you from oxidative stress and damage. (Up-regulation / Gene Modulation)
Benefits from a Clinical Perspective
From the clinical perspective ozone:
- Kills pathogenic bacteria and viruses, including
- Lyme (and co-infections)
- Viral infections like Herpes, HIV, Epstein-Bar and Hepatitis
- fungal infections.
- Boosts the immune system
- Stimulates a Powerful antioxidant response
- Effective treatment of chronic sinus infections
- Stimulates healing as well as regenerates damaged joints
- Helps heal brain trauma including seizures
- Effective on many skin conditions, including hard to heal wounds, ulcers and even MRSA
- Effective on soft tissue injuries and trigger points
- Effective on improving vision and curing ocular (eye) diseases such as Macular Degeneration, Diabetes related blindness etc.
- Decreases cholesterol
Since ozone therapy is so powerful in helping to heal infected wounds, or wounds in general, cutting edge dental practices and periodontists rely on it during procedures and surgeries, where this is becoming more popular.
Explore the photos below for an in-depth view of the Single Dose Ozone Therapy treatment.
Ozone has 6 Primary Modes of Therapeutic Significance
Ozone has different actions depending on its concentration and how it’s administered. While ozone does have a direct killing effect on bacteria, funguses, protozoa and viruses, its main mechanisms of action are by stimulating (modulating) our natural physiological immune and regenerative systems. Thus, ozone easily fits into the category of “biological therapy”, or “physiological therapy”.
By stimulating mitochondria, ozone supports and accelerates the body’s natural ability to heal damaged tissue and regenerate healthy tissue. Examples include ozone injections to heal damaged joints. It accomplishes this by stimulating the mitochondria of cells that are actively involved in regeneration, such as stem cells or the cells that generate new collagen in a damaged joint, or those that form new bones in the case of bone damage.
Note: Every cell in your body is dependent on ATP from which it derives the energy it needs to perform its functions. ATP is generated in mitochondria. Therefore, if your cells have more ATP, they function better. From cells that make collagen, to cells that make your hormones, or make natural antioxidants, or detox your blood… everything is dependent on the health of your mitochondria. Ozone is better at supporting the health of your mitochondria than any other known substance.
Interestingly, prokaryote cells which include all bacteria do NOT have mitochondria, so they are not helped by ozone.
2. Infectious Disease
Wherein ozone attacks pathogenic infections by bacteria, fungi, protozoa and viruses, and stimulates the body’s natural immune defenses. This form of physiological therapy is called Oxidative Therapy.
Note: Ozone attacks the cellular membranes (walls) of microbes, so all bacteria fungi, yeast and viruses are susceptible.
Note: Ozone is also a powerful stimulator of immune functions by increasing your generation of interferon, tumor necrosis factor and Interleuken-2. All of these are essential in a healthy immune response to microbial infection attacks.
Note: Bacteria can not develop resistance to ozone.
Wherein ozone attacks malignant cells, and protects healthy cells. It can also be a powerful adjunctive therapy to chemotherapy. As in #2 above, this form of physiological therapy is Oxidative.
4. As a Detox Agent
Ozone stimulates the body’s natural ability to generate its own anti-oxidants. This is particularly important for the health of the two organs that generate more oxidative activity than all other organs, namely, your liver and brain.
5. Anti-Oxidative Response
Ozone stimulates a powerful anti-oxidative response by our bodies and has proven effective in subduing the overproduction of inflammatory cells such as those associated with Asthma, Diabetes, as well as other painful inflammatory diseases like arthritis, Fibromyalgia and others.
Ozone stimulates oxygen metabolism by empowering your red blood cells with greater cellular energy derived from glycolysis. This also increases the ability of your red blood cells to deliver greater quantity of oxygen to your tissues. This not only increases your body’s ability to regenerate new tissues, it directly attacks bacteria, who are anaerobic and are negatively affected in an oxygen rich environment.
For more information see: Ozone therapy: A clinical review from The National Center for Biotechnology Information
How Ozone is Administered
As the clinical evidence for the effectiveness of Ozone therapy is gaining recognition, there are now several clinics throughout the country that are having remarkable results treating chronic complex infections, like Lyme and various viral infections with ozone.
Intravenous (IV) Ozone
The preferred method of administering ozone therapy is intensive intravenous (IV) ozone protocols. The most effective of these therapies is Hyperbaric Ozone Therapy with the Hermann device, also known as “Ten Pass” Ozone Therapy or High Dose Ozone Therapy.
Watch the video : Why IV Ozone Therapy “The Ten Pass Device” is the Most Effective
Most clinics combine ozone IV therapy with high potency vitamin IV therapy, for a synergistically fabulous impact on your overall health and wellbeing.
Ozone can be injected directly into joints and soft tissues.
Though Ozone is powerfully effective when administered as an IV, It has a similar effect when applied internally or topically in the form of ozonated oils such as olive oil. (Nikola Tesla was the first to develop these medicinal oils for physicians). Water can also be ozonated for drinking and bathing in.
Ozone gas, at precise concentrations, can be infused into a bag that is encapsulating a limb, (“limb bagging”), or used in ozone saunas.
Ozone can be infused directly into body cavities, called “insufflation”. (Rectal/colon, vaginal, ears, sinuses, bladder.)
In each of these cases, the ozone treats localized infections, and supports an accelerated healing of the inflamed tissue. Bottom line, ozone therapy is safe, natural and works physiologically to eradicate all sorts of infections and boost your overall health and wellbeing.
Patient Stories – Their Experience with Ozone Therapy
Scot – My DSAP Healed & My Seizures Stopped with High Dose Ozone Therapy
“I came here because of DSAP (disseminated superficial actinic porokeratosis). I had a subdural hematoma where there was a liter of blood on my brain. So I had brain surgery. After the brain surgery and the trauma these spots began to manifest…
… I started the high dose ozone therapy in fall and much to my amazement my arms and legs, which were just awful, began to heal.”
Lauren – My Heart Fibrillation (AFib) is Gone after Ozone Therapy
“I had a heart issue this summer. A fibrillation of my heart. Doctors everywhere couldn’t figure it out…
… I was recommended to see Dr. Milgrom at AMA Regenerative Medicine. He recommended a single pass ozone therapy and I had so much energy that day. Within a day or two my heart issue was gone. Absolutely gone.
It’s changed my life. I love doing ozone therapy. I do it monthly. I wanted to keep my immune system boosted and keep my heart healthy. I’ve felt healthy ever since.”
Randy – Ozone Therapy Relieved Me of Lyme Symptoms
“I contracted Lyme disease about 2 to 3 years ago. I was mountain biking and picked up a tick and contracted Lyme and i’ve been suffering with the symptoms ever since…
… I’ve tried probably every imaginable healing modality, I mean, every treatment for Lyme disease there is. I believe in ozone because at the end of the day it reduces my symptoms.”
Scott – My Experience with Ozone Injections for Joint Pain
“My name is Scott and I’m a contractor and body builder. Over the years of training I’ve destroyed my joints. As I got older I started having joint problems. My knees, shoulders, elbows, ankles, etc…
… I recommend anyone to try the ozone injections before they go and have surgery. I’ve been coming to AMA for my ozone injections and the people and the staff are wonderful.”
Allen – My Sinus Infection Treatment with Ozone Insufflation
“Hi my name is Allen and I came to AMA Regenerative Medicine for treatment of my chronic sinus infection. Over the last 8 to 10 years I’ve been suffering from chronic sinus infections…
… After just a couple of weeks the ozone injection and insufflation treatments have made a tremendous difference. The ozone treatments have been a miracle for me.”
Ozone Therapy FAQs
Q. Can ozone treatments help with Avascular Necrosis?
A. A combination of Hyperbaric Ozone Therapy and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy has an excellent chance of stimulating significant healing of your AVN. The regeneration of damaged tissue is stimulated and by both therapies. Also, your native stem cells, which are at the heart of your situation, are known to be stimulated by Hyperbaric Ozone Therapy.
Q. Is Ozone Therapy good for Arthritis?
A. Yes, Ozone Therapy is fantastic for arthritis. Ozone causes the reduction of pain and inflammation, and stimulates regeneration, when injected directly into an arthritic joint.
When ozone is infused into the blood, for those with rheumatoid arthritis, it reduces the systemic inflammation throughout the body that is caused by the autoimmune disease.
Q. Is Ozone Therapy beneficial for autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto’s disease?
A. Ozone Therapy is very beneficial. Multiple treatments will be needed. Ongoing maintenance treatments might be needed indefinitely depending on how severe your condition is.
Q. Can ozone treatments help heal a herniated disc?
A. Yes, ozone injections can be very healing for a herniated disk injury. Ozone stimulates the bodies natural regenerative processes and also reduces inflammation.
To encourage regeneration of the damaged tissue, most doctors with experience in ozone medicine will include specific vitamins and cellular nutrients along with the ozone. The injections themselves are typically painless. The most uncomfortable part of the procedure is the prick of the needle.
In the case of ozone injections into a joint, the pain disappears almost immediately. This is because an anesthetic is included in the formulation. Once the anesthetic has worn off, the pain is typically greatly diminished due to the effects of the ozone.
Following the injection, it is important not to over exert yourself for a few days. Be patient as the healing response of your physiology takes hold of healing the herniated disc. Natural healing is not a “transaction”, it is a process that needs to take its natural course. To maximize the healing, your herniated disk may require 3 to 5 strategically timed injections.
Q. Can Ozone Therapy help someone who is ill and in pain from taking an antibiotic like Cipro?
A. Yes, the ozone will help quite a bit but you will also need to detox from the effects of the Cipro.
There are Naturopathic doctors and Integrative doctors who are experts in this type of detox work. I am sure you can find one in your area.
Quicksilver Scientific has the best detox protocols I have ever encountered.
Q. I’ve always heard that it’s dangerous to have gas bubbles in the blood stream. Do you inject the ozone directly into the muscle?
A. Yes, it is a bad idea to have bubbles in the blood stream. This is something that never happens when Ozone Therapy is administered in the standard way.
A precise amount of blood is drained from the patient similar to giving blood. That blood is then infused with ozone and every drop of the patients blood is then dripped back into their body.
Statistically, Ozone Therapies are the safest medical treatment in history. Millions of these treatments are performed every year all over the world without any negative occurrences or serious incidents.
Q. Will Ozone Therapy help with Fibromyalgia?
A. Yes, in our experience Ozone Therapy can help fibromyalgia.
Q. Can Ozone Therapy help someone with herpes? How many treatments would I need?
A. Yes, Ozone Therapy is a powerful stimulant of your immune system, As such it can help very much against all sorts of viruses. We have many patients with hepatitis and herpes who are having excellent results.
The protocol needed is different for each patient depending on the severity of their symptoms. Generally, patients start with 2-3 treatments per week for 4-6 weeks, and then, as they get better, we slowly reduce the treatments to once per week, then every other week, down to once per month.
Q. I am interested in ozone injections for a damaged joint. How do the injections work?
A. To encourage the healing of a damaged joint we use 4 modalities together:
- Ozone gas, which reduces inflammation and stimulates collagen regeneration
- Clot Matrix, which is a fibrin clot derived from a small amount of the patient’s blood, which is especially rich in platelets. These platelets are cells that store all sorts of biochemical mediators that stimulate healing and regeneration.
- A special mix of vitamins that are required for the generation of new healthy tissue
- Procaine, which anesthetizes the joint, making the procedure comfortable. It also breaks the pain cycle.
Q. How is the 10 pass ozone device different from using a higher quantity ozone at a higher gamma?
A. Ozone Therapy is very much dose dependent and the blood can only handle a specific concentration of ozone at one time. The goal is to get the optimum quantity of ozone into the patient’s blood.
However, the ozone can not be administered directly into the patient’s vein. Also, you can’t use too much ozone to over saturate a specific quantity of blood all at one time.
Therefore, administering ozone of the correct concentration into a measured quantity of blood and re-infusing the blood back into the patient is the only other option. This is repeated until the overall volume of the patient’s blood has been infused with the optimal quantity of ozone.
This is know as High Dose Ozone Therapy or HDOT. When done correctly, the therapeutic value of High Dose Ozone Therapy is stunning!
Q. Can the 10 pass Ozone Therapy help patients with Multiple Sclerosis?
A. Yes. High Dose Ozone Therapy (HDOT) is known to be an effective treatment to increase mitochondrial function, reduce systemic inflammation and to stimulate the activity of native stem cells. All three of these are important for treating multiple sclerosis.
Q. Can ozone injections help with a torn ACL?
A. If the ACL is NOT torn all they way through then ozone injections can help. Ozone injections are a very effective regenerative treatment that can definitely help a knee with a compromised ACL.
It is doubtful if ozone can help and ACL to reattach that is torn all the way through.
Learn More About the Science of Ozone Therapy
References - Read the Science...
Everything on our website comes from from reputable publications, books and scientific journals, most of which are available on PubMed and other government websites. These include Meta-Analysis’, Randomized Controlled Trials, Clinical Trials, Systematic Reviews, Books and Documents. We encourage you to read the science, in order to separate fact from fiction, so that you can arrive at a full understanding of what is best for your body. We would be honored to be a part of that educational journey with you.
- Sagai M and Boccicorresponding V. Mechanisms of Action Involved in Ozone Therapy: Is Healing Induced via a Mild Oxidative Stress? 2011 Dec;20:10.1186/2045-9912-1-29.
- Elvis A and Ekta J. Ozone Therapy: A Clinical Review. 2011 Jan-Jun;2(1):66–70.
- Bocci V, Zanardi I and Travagli V. Ozone Acting on Human Blood Yields a Hormetic Dose-response Relationship. 2011 May;17;9:66.
- Simonetti L, Raffi L, Cenni P, Agati R and Leonardi M. Pharmacological Mechanisms Underlying Oxygen-Ozone Therapy for Herniated Disc. 2003 Sep;201-204.
- Lerner R and Eschenmoser A. Ozone in Biology. 2003 Mar;18;(6)3013-3015.
- Zargaran M, Fatahinia M and Mahmoudabadi A. The Efficacy of Gaseous Ozone Against Different Forms of Candida Albicans. 2017 Jun;3(2):26–32.
- Song M, Zeng Q, Xiang Y, Gao L, Huang J, Wu K and Lu J. The Antibacterial Effect of Topical Ozone on the Treatment of MRSA Skin Infection. 2018 Feb;17(2):2449–2455.
- Costanzo, M et al. Low ozone concentrations stimulate cytoskeletal organization, mitochondrial activity and nuclear transcription. European journal of histochemistry : EJH vol. 59,2 2515. 21 Apr. 2015.
- Serra MEG, Baeza-Noci J, Mendes Abdala CV, Luvisotto MM, Bertol CD, Anzolin AP. The role of ozone treatment as integrative medicine. An evidence and gap map. Front Public Health. 2023 Jan 16;10:1112296. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2022.1112296. PMID: 36726625; PMCID: PMC9885089.
- Baysan A, Lynch E. Effect of Ozone on the Oral Microbiota and Clinical Severity of Primary Root Caries. 2004 Feb;17(1):56-60.
- Ezeldin M, Leonardi M, Princiotta C, Dall’olio M, Tharwat M, Zaki M, Abdel-Wanis M and Cirillo L. Percutaneous Ozone Nucleolysis for Lumbar Disc Herniation. 2018 Sep;60(11):1231–1241.
- Borrelli E and Bocci V. Visual Improvement Following Ozone Therapy in Dry Age Related Macular Degeneration; a Review. 2013 Summer;2(2):47–51.
- Clavo B, Santana-Rodríguez N, Llontop P, Gutiérrez D, Suárez G, López L, Rovira G, Martínez-Sánchez G, González E, Jorge I, Perera C, Blanco J and Rodríguez-Esparragón F. Ozone Therapy as Adjuvant for Cancer Treatment: Is Further Research Warranted? 2018 Sep;7931849
- Steppan J, Meaders T, Muto M and Murphy KJ. A Metaanalysis of the Effectiveness and Safety of Ozone Treatments for Herniated Lumbar Discs. 2010 Apr;21(4):534-48.
- Steppan J, Boxley C, Murphy K, Muto M, Balagurunathan K and Meaders T. Abstract No. 38: Ozone’s Mechanisms of Action for Relieving Pain Associated with Herniated Intervertebral Discs. 2009 Feb;V20:S16–S17
- Scassellati C, Galoforo AC, Bonvicini C, Esposito C, Ricevuti G. Ozone: a natural bioactive molecule with antioxidant property as potential new strategy in aging and in neurodegenerative disorders. Ageing Res Rev. 2020 Nov;63:101138.
- Molinari F, Simonetti V, Franzini M, Pandolfi S, Vaiano F, Valdenassi L, Liboni W. Ozone autohemotherapy induces long-term cerebral metabolic changes in multiple sclerosis patients. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2014 Jul-Sep;27(3):379-89.
- Gazioğlu Türkyılmaz G, Rumeli Ş, Bakır M. Effects of Major Ozone Autohemotherapy on Physical Functionality and Quality of Life in Fibromyalgia Syndrome: A Prospective Cross-sectional Study. Altern Ther Health Med. 2021 Sep;27(5):8-12.
- Tirelli U, Franzini M, Valdenassi L, Pisconti S, Taibi R, Torrisi C, Pandolfi S, Chirumbolo S. Fatigue in post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV2 (PASC) treated with oxygen-ozone autohemotherapy – preliminary results on 100 patients. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2021 Sep;25(18):5871-5875.
- Tricarico G, Isakovic J, Song MS, Rustichelli F, Travagli V, Mitrecic D. Ozone influences migration and proliferation of neural stem cells in vitro. Neurosci Lett. 2020 Nov 20;739:135390. doi: 10.1016/j.neulet.2020.135390. Epub 2020 Sep 15. PMID: 32947004.
- König B, Lahodny J. Ozone high dose therapy (OHT) improves mitochondrial bioenergetics in peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Transl Med Commun. 2022;7(1):17. doi: 10.1186/s41231-022-00123-7. Epub 2022 Jul 21. PMID: 35880042; PMCID: PMC9301618.
- Re K, Gandhi J, Liang R, Patel S, Joshi G, Smith NL, Reid I, Khan SA. Clinical utility of ozone therapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy in degenerative disc disease. Med Gas Res. 2023 Jan-Mar;13(1):1-6. doi: 10.4103/2045-9912.351890. PMID: 35946215; PMCID: PMC9480354.
- Clavo B, Borrelli E. Editorial: Ozone in medicine: Biochemical background, physiological modulation and clinical applications. Front Physiol. 2023 Feb 6;14:1112860. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2023.1112860. PMID: 36814483; PMCID: PMC9939878.
- Sucuoğlu H, Soydaş N. Efficacy of ozone therapy as an add-on treatment in fibromyalgia: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2023;36(2):357-366. doi: 10.3233/BMR-210368. PMID: 36530072.